We got back from trek this morning. I wish that I could
adequately express my feelings. Although I know I won’t be able to. I awoke
about 4:30 this morning and the words from Come, Come, Ye Saints were running
through my mind. I looked up at the branches of the huge pine tree that I had
slept under. There was a slight breeze whistling through the trees. And as my
mind thought back on the testimony meeting the night before and the events that
had transpired the past 3 days, I just kept hearing the words, “all is well,
all is well.” We each have experiences in our lives that change them. This was
one of those experiences for me.
We got up there Wednesday morning about 9:30. We were
supposed to start trekking at noon. So we had about 2 ½ hours for bishop to put
us in families, get our handcart and get it loaded and get prepared to start
out. In our family it was Jamie and I as Ma and Pa, Greg and Emily Cowgur as
big brother and big sister and our kids were: Alex Westover, Bracken Trudeau,
Chase Williams, Allesandro Pena, Nelson Schnepf, Trenton Bollschweiler, Baili
Watt, Brooklyn Murphy, and Justine Walker. I never knew that I could love
someone who wasn’t my own flesh so immediately.
Before we left, I wasn’t really worried about the physical
part of the trek. I have been running several times a week and I felt like I
could handle the physical part of it. But I was more worried about how I would
interact with the kids. I didn’t want to do or say anything that would detract
from their experience. We had only been pushing the handcarts for a few minutes
and Justine, who wasn’t in the yoke, walked up to one of the brothers and asked
them if she could get them water. That simple act touched me so much and I knew
at that moment that they would teach me more than I ever taught them. That
first day was just a lot of walking. Me and Jamie were both thinking about
Addy’s championship swimmeet that we were going to miss. About 5:15 we were
still on the trail and we had pulled over the shade for a little stop and Jamie
said he would be back and headed off into the woods. I thought I knew where he
was going so I asked him if I could join him and he said yes. So I followed
him, and we went into the woods and kneeled in prayer. We prayed for Addy’s
success and that she would feel our love for her. We were both in tears by the
time the prayer was over. The hardest part about leaving was knowing we would
miss that meet. (She won all 3 of her events -3 1st place medals. She is amazing.)So that was a sacred experience to me. As we kept going, Baili
was really starting to struggle. She was lagging behind quite frequently, and
complaining that she wasn’t feeling well. I knew the next day we had the
women’s pull and Rocky Ridge and I was starting to get worried.
We slept under the stars Thursday night. The weather
couldn’t have been more perfect. I just had my sleeping bag and nothing else
and it wasn’t cold, the night was clear and there were a million stars in the
sky.
We were the last company to get going Friday morning and so
it was pretty hot as we got started. We had 2 or 3 miles and then the women’s
pull. I was kind of surprised when Baili asked me if she could be in the yoke
for the women’s pull. It was like she had made up her mind where she needed to
be to be successful. In the end, she decided that she wanted to be in the front
yoke but she did amazing. As we watched the men leave, it was an interesting
feeling. I don’t know how those women did that. I don’t know how they let their
men walk away knowing they wouldn’t see them for months and years and that they
would be left alone to do that trail by themselves. We knew no matter how hard
it was that our boys and men would be just right up the road. The whole trek
was kind of that way. You knew you were just reenacting and so in a way it kind
of felt a little cheesy and then the spirit would hit you and make you feel
things you weren’t expecting.
As we started pushing up the hill, Emily and I were in the
built in part of the yoke and the three girls were in the added on yoke in
front of us. It was tough. The cart was heavy and the hill was pretty steep.
But we soon got to the boys and they ran over and asked us if they could help
and at first we said no, and then some of the girls were getting pretty tired
and they said they could and started jumping in. Brother Cowgur, had had the
tips of his fingers cut off just a couple weeks ago in an accident at work. So
he hadn’t done a lot of pushing in the yoke on the handcart just because it was
pretty difficult with his one hand. But he came up next to his wife, lifted up
the side of the yoke with his arm and let her out and started pushing. It just
touched my heart. Jamie got in for me and the men in our family got that cart
up the rest of the hill.
After that we stopped and ate lunch and then right
after that it was Rocky Ridge. Rocky Ridge was a tough hill. We went down
before we went up and then going down was tough enough in its own right. There
were rocks everywhere, and you were constantly trying to slow the cart down and
keep the wheels off of the big ones. Our family just all worked together and
made it awesome. As we got towards the top, another one of the families from
our ward was running back down to help us. They helped us up and then Jamie and
most of our kids ran down to help more of the families up. Again, it gave me a
small glimpse of what those families must have felt like to be struggling and
seeing some of their brothers and sisters coming back to help them.
As we got into camp that night, Brother Cowgur was
struggling. His fingers were driving him crazy. They took the bandages off of
them and it looked like where they had done the skin grafts, they were starting
to be infected. So they called the nurse over, who gave him an antibiotic and
they decided to go home. Jamie and Bishop gave him a blessing. Our kids were
out on their own reading the letters their parents had written them and writing
in their journals. As we called them in to tell them the Cowgurs were going
home, there was just this sadness that descended over our family. It felt like
we were losing members of our family. I didn’t know Greg and Emily very well
going into the trek. They seemed kind of like fly by the seat of their pants
kind of people and I was a little worried about how we would get along with
them. But it amazes me how much I grew to love them in 2 days. I was so sad to
see them go. We had a family prayer and there were several of us in tears by
the time it was over.
Friday night we had to make our own dinner, and we made
stew. I thought the potatoes were done, and they weren’t. So sometime after
dinner or the next morning, Chase started teasing me about the hard potatoes.
But it made my day. I knew at that time I had gotten somewhere with him,
because he felt comfortable enough to tease me. So for the next day and a half
I heard very little from him except about my potatoesJ
Saturday morning we only had about a 2 and a half mile walk
before me got to Salt Lake but again there were these tender moments from my
kids. Bracken had formed blisters on his feet the first day and didn’t tell us.
His parents were a ma and pa for a different group and he told them and they
got him some moleskin but I felt so bad. Well the blisters were driving him
crazy so he walked those 2 ½ miles – most of it pretty rocky – with no shoes. I
kept asking him if he needed anything. He wouldn’t let us do anything for him
and never once complained. He just kept on going.
Brooklyn had also been feeling pretty crappy for most of the
trip. She wasn’t hardly eating anything. She was constipated and it had been a
pretty miserable trip for her. We offered to get her a ride that last day and
she wouldn’t let us. So I look up at one point and Justine is carrying her on
her back. I bet she carried her for at least half a mile.
When we got into “Salt Lake” they had all of these games
planned for us. We made pies, and candles, washed hair, learned how to dance,
played pioneer games, and shot rifles. One of the things they had us do was
reenact the sweetwater crossing when those 3 men from the rescue party hauled
500 people, 100 yards across a river with chunks of ice floating in it. They
had made a tub of water and it was freezing!!! I think at the beginning of the
day it was mostly ice. They asked 3 boys from each family to get in it and
carry the rest of the family across. Allesandro immediately volunteered. He was
definitely the youngest in our family and I think maybe even the youngest in
the whole ward. I was a little bit nervous about him doing it because I knew
whoever we chose would have to carry Jamie across. Justine also immediately
asked if they had to be boys. She wanted to do it as well. Justine is strong
and I knew she could do it but I also didn’t know if she needed the experience
of being carried across. Jamie had run back to help with something so he wasn’t
right there and I didn’t want to make the decision by myself. But he came back
and decided that it should be Alessandro, Nelson, and Chase. So they got in the
water and you could tell it was cold. So they started taking each of us across.
It was an interesting experience to think of those 3 boys going back and forth
across that river and how much love those pioneers must have felt for them. But
my favorite experience came at the end of that experience. After the boys got
out, Justine took her apron and dried the feet of those 3 boys so that they
didn’t have to put their shoes and socks back on with wet feet. Justine has
been taught to think outside herself, to look out for other people and think
about what they need. I was so proud of her – so proud of her for not being
upset that she wasn’t picked as one of the ones to carry the others across and
so proud of her for thinking about someone other than herself.
That afternoon as we were walking down the road in “Salt
Lake” Jamie turned me to me and pointed and something and said look. I turned around
and looked and there were the Cowgurs walking back into camp. They had come
back. They had been to the surgeon and he said it was a little set back but he
would be okay. I don’t think I have ever been so excited to see someone. It was
like we had regained a part of our family. Again, I know it seems silly but it
really did.Update: Jamie lost his glasses somewhere along the trail, and we weren't sure where. So he went back with a member from our stake to one place where we had stopped and then after looking at my pictures he figured he probably lost them earlier on so he went back with our bishop and looked for them there and never found them. Well when we went to Taylor the next week we passed right by where we had gone on trek and so he said I want to stop one more time and look for them. We had prayed many times that he would find them. One of the kids from our group had prayed one night that he would find them. The member of our stake that was with him prayed they would find them. Anyway, I didn't have much faith we would find them a week later out in the woods. But we drove out to where we stopped for lunch one day which was right after the women's pull which was the last time he was wearing them in the pictures. And within a minute we had found them. Him and bishop had looked in that exact same area. So we felt like that was a tender mercy and an answer to prayers.




No comments:
Post a Comment